Help! Need some information on college scholarship?

Where do I find college scholarships? How do I apply for grants?

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Help! Need some information on college scholarship?

Postby Stephen1111 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:05 pm

Hi everyone,
I am studying spring semester of sophomore year of Chemical Engineering in Colorado. I am really messed up in my last two semester and I have 2.58 gpa. I am also doing Undergraduate research assistance in a lab of professor. Beside I don't have any experience of Volunteer( I am thinking doing in summer) or social work. Can anyone think of scholarship that fits me? I am permanent resident of US and in-state. I am from middle class family with low EFC. I already applied FAFSA and have some other grants but those cannot cover my tuition. Anybody know any way I can get scholarship? I will really appreciate any help.
Stephen1111
New

Re: Help! Need some information on college scholarship?

Postby pahern11 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:42 pm

Hey Stephen,

I would recommend looking at Student Scholarship Search for scholarships. You can search for scholarships based on specific categories
pahern11
Senior

Postby CoryLoPreedy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:58 pm

To up your odds I would also recommend reading up on how to make the most of your scholarship searches as it can be very daunting and time consuming at times. Get a head start on this by reading up on Scholarship Tips to help you make the most of your time.

http://www.financialaidsteps.com/scholarship-tips/
CoryLoPreedy
First Year

Postby jasonjb » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:34 am

Hi Stephen,

I have a few recommendations, first its great that you qualified for a grant, in that case you should be able to get a Stafford Subsidized Loan in case the scholarships don't work out.

About- about scholarships, contact the financial aid office at your school, they want to help you get funding (obviously, so you can give it back to them at the school) and will know about scholarships in your category. Based on your GPA, it may mean that you need to apply for other types of scholarships besides merit, look for need based scholarships, and scholarships based on your major.

I would not recommend looking through huge scholarship search engines, but rather look through smaller local sources, such as high school websites will often post scholarships under the counselor page. Many of these are more local, and you are more likely to get them.

I would also recommend learning more about your scholarship and student loan options, you can do that at www.scholarplan.org,

It may be good to see if you can get a on-campus job during school, if your not working already. Best of luck!
jasonjb
New

Return to College Scholarships