FAFSA ~ Funding Adjustment...

What is the fafsa? When should I apply for financial aid?

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

FAFSA ~ Funding Adjustment...

Postby Kollege Kay » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:24 am

Greetings! I had already filled out my FAFSA and received my SAR. I had only used my taxes to fill it out, but I was informed that I can have my financial aid adjusted after school starts. I had lasik surgery done last spring, and I didn't have a receipt or the document I needed for when I filed taxes so I did not include it, but I was told if I go to where I had this proceedure done and obtained documentation to provide to the school, they can adjust my financial aid, also allowing me to qualify for the Pell Grant.

My questions are:

1) How long do I have to wait before I can give them this information? (Aug. or Sept???)
2) If my school expenses are not completely covered, and I do not have the cash myself, will they not allow me to attend class even though I have filed this extra information?

Thanks for your time.
Kollege Kay
New

Re: FAFSA ~ Funding Adjustment...

Postby Ms. Stafford » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:43 am

Hello, if in fact the money you spent on your Lasik surgery will be enough to change the outcome of your FAFSA, then you do not need to wait for school to start. You can amend your FAFSA now, and have an updated SAR sent to your school. They will adjust your Financial aid once they recieve an updated SAR from the governement.
Ms. Stafford
Veteran of Financial Aid

Postby Kollege Kay » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:03 am

Ok, where exactly would I put that on my fafsa? (I have yet to go to the eye place for my yearly update so I can get a receipt). I just want to make sure I do it right. I spent about $3,000 on the procedure, I ended up getting a personal loan to pay it off even though I could finance, I had other things to pay as well so it was just easier paying one larger payment instead of two separate payments.

I'm a complete newb, sorry.
Kollege Kay
New

Postby Ms. Stafford » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:51 pm

well there is not a spot on the FAFSA form to put specific things you bought or paid for...that is all accounted for in your tax information that you report on the FAFSA. If you filed your FAFSA using last year's tax data then, wait until you get this year's tax returns back, then log into the FAFSA online, and there will be a section on there to update tax records. If you already filed your taxes for this year, and you did not include your lasik surgery receipt then you would have to amend your taxes...and then update your FAFSA. If you have not filed your taxes yet for this year...do so soon and be sure to report any money paid for that surgery/loan.
Ms. Stafford
Veteran of Financial Aid

Postby Kollege Kay » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:08 am

So if I already filed my taxes and have that all sent in without the lasik included, I have to wait to include that until next year???????

That does not help me out now because I will not and do not qualify for the pell grant due to my efc, which my family could care less about me and if I succeed. I'm not sure if I will have enough time now to amend my taxes because I only have access to TurboTax at my Dad's and I can only get there once a week, and currently he is out of state. :-(

I guess what my question is, is there any way I can include on my fafsa the lasik receipt (now that I found it) without redoing my taxes so I may qualify for pell grant my first semester? I'm not as worried for my second semester because my employment will have been cut in half already... but currently I'm barely getting by at the moment with the hours I do work.
Kollege Kay
New

Postby Ms. Stafford » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:45 am

there is not a spot on the FAFSA to report the moneys paid for your lasik surgery....its all done through your taxes. my advice would be to contact turbo tax customer service and they may be able to help you amend your return
Ms. Stafford
Veteran of Financial Aid

Postby Kollege Kay » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:09 pm

Ok, thank you very much!!! I will try and do that. :)
Kollege Kay
New

Postby Kollege Kay » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:24 am

Well, even though my "Medical Expenses" were over $3,000 I still did not get any deduction on my actual taxes. I'm confused why this does not work. It was all paid off last year because I got a personal loan in order to pay other things as well as my lasik in full, I think that should count towards a deduction... maybe I'm just stupid and don't know how to do any of that, but I feel like I'm being robbed of trying to get an education since they will not allow me to qualify for the pell grant. I don't understand, and frankly frustrated over the whole situation. Part of my frustration is having limited access to the internet as it is... I feel like my time is running out to apply to scholarships! This year I have unexpected expenses: car repairs of $6,000+ because I got into an accident. I'm seriously living paycheck to paycheck and have been ever since I started working!

Sorry, I'm ranting. I'm not giving up on scholarships, but I feel that if I don't get the Pell Grant along with scholarships, or many scholarships I wont be able to pay my tuition. Right now I cannot get the Pell Grant. I don't have family assistance, why does the fafsa give a stupid EFC # when I don't live with family and I am an independant??
Kollege Kay
New

Postby Ms. Stafford » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:15 pm

Kollege Kay wrote:Well, even though my "Medical Expenses" were over $3,000 I still did not get any deduction on my actual taxes. I'm confused why this does not work. It was all paid off last year because I got a personal loan in order to pay other things as well as my lasik in full, I think that should count towards a deduction... maybe I'm just stupid and don't know how to do any of that, but I feel like I'm being robbed of trying to get an education since they will not allow me to qualify for the pell grant. I don't understand, and frankly frustrated over the whole situation. Part of my frustration is having limited access to the internet as it is... I feel like my time is running out to apply to scholarships! This year I have unexpected expenses: car repairs of $6,000+ because I got into an accident. I'm seriously living paycheck to paycheck and have been ever since I started working!

Sorry, I'm ranting. I'm not giving up on scholarships, but I feel that if I don't get the Pell Grant along with scholarships, or many scholarships I wont be able to pay my tuition. Right now I cannot get the Pell Grant. I don't have family assistance, why does the fafsa give a stupid EFC # when I don't live with family and I am an independant??

I am not sure why your medical expenses did not result in a deduction for your taxes...that seems like a question for an accountant...not my area of expertise :lol: as far as the EFC...when you are an independent...which you are....the EFC is simply based on your info and your info only....they could change the acronym to EIC for independant students but I guess they just figure its easier to leave it the way it is. I also am skeptical that even if your medical costs resulted in a deduction on your taxes, that it would have had enough impact to change your EFC significantly enough to make you eligible for a pell grant. but i could be wrong. keep trucking and searching for scholarships every chance you get...i also would recommend setting up a meeting with a financial aid advisor at your school....they have more power than you think. if you explain to them all of the hardships you have endured, they may award you more financial aid directly from the school. good luck
Last edited by Ms. Stafford on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ms. Stafford
Veteran of Financial Aid

Postby Kollege Kay » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:15 pm

Thanks!
Kollege Kay
New

Postby Sinthya » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:43 am

Hi. I read the conversations. Filling the FAFSA doesn't assure that you will surely get the finance. Good point is that you have received your SAR. You also spent money on Lasik Surgery and it is enough to change the outcome of FAFSA. So you need to have patience till your school starts. Talk with your school authority and they will surely help you finding the right solution after getting your updated SAR.
Sinthya
New

Return to FAFSA