Fafsa needs to update marital status

What is the fafsa? When should I apply for financial aid?

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Fafsa needs to update marital status

Postby mrblueq » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi guys, so I have a question regarding a change of marital status on an already submitted fafsa. I recently got married, on July 1st. My wife submitted her fafsa some time before this. We wanted to change her marital status so that she can claim herself as independent, but the financial aid office has told her that they can't change it because it's illegal. But I'm reading online now that you can change your marital status for 2012-2013 year.

So, now I'm confused. The financial aid office seems to refuse any assistance, and frankly I don't believe them because I've had other dealings with them where they scream incompetence. Are they correct? Can my wife not update her marital status on an already submitted fafsa? But if they are incorrect, what do we do?

Thanks in advance,
mrblueq
New

Re: Fafsa needs to update marital status

Postby pahern11 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:10 pm

When you file your FAFSA next year, you will then be able to change your marital status. However, you are not able to change the marital status for the current year after you have filed the FAFSA, unless you request a special condition form in the case of a divorce that occurs after the FAFSA has been filed
pahern11
Senior

Return to FAFSA