What is the fafsa? When should I apply for financial aid?

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru


Postby alove » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:44 am

When I last talked to my financial aid counselor she told me to write a letter in regards to how I believe I should be declared an independent since I have not had contact with my parents for over five years. Here is what I have so far. Any help would be appreciated I meet with them again tomorrow. I am aware that my paragraphs do need to be longer but I'm not sure what else to add. I do have a 2011 liaison letter stating I was considered a unaccompanied homeless youth to go along with it. i am currently 20 years old as well.

Ever since I can remember family life has been something I have not been familiar with. When I was younger I dreaded the fact, that at night I had to go back to the place that caused me so much pain and sorrow.
In recent years, I have been too scared to even enroll in school because of how much it was going to cost. Instability from parents, living situations, constant moving and number of schools I have transitioned into has directly affected the outcome of my high school grade point average and the financial abilities left open to me. With FASFA and other financial aid you are required to fill out the paperwork using your parents’ information but, my parents have not been around for over 5 years. Being that I have not had contact with them for such a long duration of time I believe I should have the ability to fill out my own paperwork.
My parents were not financially, emotionally, or physically around to support my education. My dad has been unemployed and unable to acquire a stable job over the past five years, and has been dealing with an alcohol addiction. My mother is incarcerated in a mental institution for bi-polar and manic depression, leaving the contact with her non-existent. Both individuals neglected their legal duties as parents for their corrupted morals and selfish ways. During 2011 while still in High School I obtained a McKinney-Vento School District Liaison for the purpose of reenrolling myself in high school to continue my education. This entitled me to by pass my parents information and fill out my reenrollment as an independent and continue going to school.
Being without a guardian or parent I have gone through my years jumping around living in various relatives’ homes and friends houses, even homeless. With all of that I did remain in school and received my diploma. I have been to nine different schools throughout my life. In all I have been to four different high schools, enrolled in a self taught home schooling program, two different middle schools, and two elementary schools. All of which has given me the drive for a bigger opportunity. I see education as a path to a happy and secure future. I am serious about my future and I recognize that a degree is essential in obtaining a great career.
With that being said I believe that I have been through enough to be considered an independent on the financial aid paperwork. I have provided for myself financially and emotionally while attending high school and since then. I have the drive to finish schooling since it is a way to a more secure future.
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:35 am

Re: FASFA Independent PROOFREAD?

Postby edvadmin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:09 pm

If you have no contact with your parents and don’t know where they live, or you’ve left home due to an abusive situation, fill out the FAFSA and then immediately get in touch with the financial aid office at the college or career school you plan to attend. The financial aid staff will tell you what to do next. Learn more about how to fill out the FAFSA if you have special circumstances that prevent you from providing parent information.

In situations such as the ones below, you may be able to submit your FAFSA without parent information despite being considered a dependent student:
Your parents are incarcerated.
You have left home due to an abusive family environment.
You do not know where your parents are and are unable to contact them (and you have not been adopted).
You are older than 21 but not yet 24, are unaccompanied, and are either homeless or self-supporting and at risk of being homeless.

FAFSA on the Web will ask you whether you are able to provide information about your parents. If you are not, you will have the option to indicate that you have special circumstances that make you unable to get your parents’ information. FAFSA on the Web then allows you to submit your application without entering data about your parents.

However, it is important for you to understand the following:

Although your FAFSA will be submitted, it will not be fully processed. You will not receive an Expected Family Contribution and must immediately contact the financial aid office at the college or career school you plan to attend.

The financial aid staff may ask for additional information to determine whether you can be considered independent and have an EFC calculated without parent data. Gather as much written evidence of your situation as you can. Written evidence may include court or law enforcement documents, letters from a clergy member, school counselor or social worker, and/or any other relevant data that explains your special circumstance.

The financial aid office’s decision about your dependency status is final and cannot be appealed to the U.S. Department of Education.

Good Luck...
Admin, FinancialAidForum.com


Be sure to follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/finaidforum
Site Admin
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:51 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Return to FAFSA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest