Food stamps on FAFSA:

What is the fafsa? When should I apply for financial aid?

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Food stamps on FAFSA:

Postby Karlfarmer » Wed May 22, 2013 11:35 am

I am being verfied for the past two years. One question from the school (on their own verfication form, which they will use to compare to the FAFSA) is 'did you receive food stampt during 2011'. I did, but when I completed the FAFSA in January, 2012, for the 2102/2013 school year, the FAFSA program skipped past the section about food stamps, TANF/WIC, and etc. So the FAFSA is blank (not even a zero) for that question (actually in two locations- question 75, and 96). It would appear that I misled the FAFSA, but that's not the case- based on previous replies, again, the software bypassed this topic, so I couldn't answer one way ar another. How to deal with this discrepancy? Naturally, I'd never purposely deceive the FAFSA- of course any simple check by the authorities would show I received food stamps. How to deal with this discrepenacy? Thanks.
Karlfarmer
Graduate Student of Financial Aid

Re: Food stamps on FAFSA:

Postby Aid Whiz » Wed May 22, 2013 12:58 pm

The best resource for correcting FAFSA information (or completing verification appropriately) is your school's financial aid office.
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Postby Karlfarmer » Wed May 22, 2013 2:45 pm

I called FAFSA, for advice, and they told me that based on replies inputted onto the FAFSA, the FAFSA progam bypasses other items that would not have any affect on the outcome of the FAFSA. Meaning- not everyone completes the same sections of a FAFSA. In other words, since my income was zero, and my EFC was 00000, the program bypassed the federal program section (that contains food stamps, etc.), because the replies would not affect the outcome. They also told me to explain that to the school when they verify my information, just to avoid having the school think I submitted contradictory information. (In fact, the school must know I received food stamps during that time, because to be eligible, the school had to provide my enrollment information directly to the state food stamp program).
Karlfarmer

Postby CoryLoPreedy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:41 pm

Sounds like you have it under control. Should your school (or any school for that matter) need to verify this portion of your FAFSA you would simply need to provide a signed and dated statement and/or your food stamp (SNAP) documents to your Financial Aid Office. Once the correct documents requested from your school are on file they can work on making any corrections to your FAFSA should it be needed based on this verification process.
CoryLoPreedy
First Year

Postby Karlfarmer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:32 pm

[Once the correct documents requested from your school are on file they can work on making any corrections to your FAFSA should it be needed based on this verification process.[/quote]

Herein lies the problem. How CAN the FAFSA be corrected, on an item, when that item wasn't able to be answered on the FAFSA, by virtue of the FAFSA software overriding certain portions of the FAFSA (meaning, deleting certain parts of the FAFSA that otherwise would require a response), based on income, and other criteria? How can you correct a problem that isn't a problem, in the first place?

For the record, after my 'verfication' review by the school, they (the school) submitted a 'corrected' FAFSA based on the amount of money in my bank accounts as of July 1, 2103- but the 2013/2014 FAFSA asked about information from January 1, 2012 through January 31, 2012. Here we are six months later?
None of it makes sense, other than to make the FA process more confused, so fewer people attempt it. This is definitely going to stop the huge growth of colleges that has been going on, since fewer students will be able to access financial aid. Might be a good thing- it might stop the hyperinflation of tuition?

Anyway- my advice is that if anybody wants to pursue FA, I can tell you the screws are being tightened, daily- partially due to the bankrupt country, and partially due to the escalation in defaults in students loans. Yet all the while, we are told: "Go to college!". Be persistent, detail oriented, and make it a daily task to pursue finacial aid, or you will be left out by missing some obscure requirement. I can say, for a fact, that in the past 8 months, I have spent more time on FA requests, revisions, demands, counter-demands, verifications and more verifications, and the like than I spent on taking final exams for 8 classes. Good luck!
Karlfarmer

Return to FAFSA