"Independent" - Unique Situtation

What is the fafsa? When should I apply for financial aid?

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

"Independent" - Unique Situtation

Postby DannydIII » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:26 pm

I born in Nigeria and lived there for 13 years, in which both of my parents died before I turned 13. luckily for me, I brought her, under permanent visa, by my aunt when I was 13; I became a citizens immediately I got here. About a month later after I got here, she adopted me. Would I still be considered Independent or not? If yes, would this also apply for the CSS/financial aid profile application? I would greatly appreciate if anyone could provide me with good answer or advice. Thank You. :D
DannydIII
New

Re: "Independent" - Unique Situtation

Postby steve.blank » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:05 pm

The FAFSA will ask "At any time since you turned 13 were both your parents deceased...?" The instructions further state that you answer "Yes" if you had no living parents (biological or adoptive) at any time after you turned 13, even if you are now adopted.

It boils down to your age when you were adopted. So if you were already 13 when she adopted you, you will be independent for the FAFSA.

As for the Profile, when you register for it there will be a series of questions for you to answer - click to read further info on each question to be sure you understand them exactly. Those will determine whether you will have to provide parent (your adopted aunt) information.
Steven Blank
College Financial Aid Consultants
29 Ives Hill Court
Cheshire, CT 06410
203-250-7761
steve.blank
First Year

Return to FAFSA