Please help on my Financial Aid Appeal Letter

What is the fafsa? When should I apply for financial aid?

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Please help on my Financial Aid Appeal Letter

Postby fotka99 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:05 am

I was just looking for some critique for my financial aid appeal letter. Thank you in advance.

Dear Financial Aid Committee,

My name is ______ ______ I am writing to appeal my suspension from financial aid. I would like to begin thanking you in advance for taking the time to read this letter and consider my request to reinstate my financial aid at Clark Community College. I apologize that I am exceeding my credit limit to receive an associate’s degree and I do not blame anyone but myself, however, I would like to explain the circumstances.

In the fall of 2009 I attended the Clark County Skill Center. The class I went to there was Hospitality & Tourism Management. I enjoyed the class because I my goal there was to learn as much as I could about hotels & tourism industry to become a Hotel Manager and Owner. After graduating from the Clark County Skill Center I received 9 college credits in the degree of Hospitality & Tourism that is only offered at Mt. Hood Community College since Clark Community College does not offer this kind of degree. I attended Mt. Hood Community College at the fall of 2010. I took specialized for the degree as well as some general required classes. I studied hard to pass every class that I took and I succeeded. At the end of the spring term of 2010 I decided to go for a bachelor’s degree due to the degree inflation in our economy. I did research if I could receive a bachelor’s degree in Hospitality & Tourism in the neighboring Universities (PSU, WSUV, & UP) but sadly they do not offer a bachelor’s degree in that field. So I made a decision to change my degree to Business Administration to receive a bachelor’s degree but still pursue my career goal of becoming a Hotel Manager and Owner. In the fall term of 2011 I began my journey by taking some business classes at Mt. Hood Community College.

During the fall term I began to apply to Clark Community College to continue my degree in Businesses Administration. I got accepted and applied for my financial aid there which was approved. I spoke with an advisor at Clark about transferring my credits from Mt. Hood to Clark. While speaking to the advisor she informs me that my classes that involved hospitality & tourism could not transfer to Clark College because there is no equivalent class to compensate for it. In the winter and spring term of 2012 I passed all my classes so that I would meet the requirements.

I have spoken with an advisor on what I should do to be able to complete my prerequisites at Clark College so that I would be able to go to Washington State University Vancouver. During our conversation my advisor told me two important details: 1) that I need 57 credits to complete to receive my BA transfer degree to WSUV. 2) That I need to see a professional technical advisor to help me establish an education plan to see how quickly I would finish my prerequisites. After we finished our conversation I went to see a professional technical advisor right away to create my education plan. My advisor and I have determined that I need at least 3 terms of classes to be able to complete my prerequisites at Clark Community College. I have agreed to follow the educational plan to get the Business transfer degree to WSUV. I’m asking that under these given the circumstances, that the committee give me another chance and reinstate my financial aid.

I am serious about my future and I recognize that a degree is essential in attaining a great career. Again, thank you for taking the time to read this letter, and I assure you, if granted financial aid, my education is and will continue to be my main priority.

Sincerely,

______ ______
fotka99
New

Return to FAFSA