Unemployed full-time student

What is the fafsa? When should I apply for financial aid?

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Unemployed full-time student

Postby mindboggles » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:29 pm

I'm currently a full time student and was unemployed for all of last year so that I could focus on school. I have supported myself partly with financial aid, however I live with my boyfriend who is able to pay for rent, utilities and food. Because I am 25, I qualify as an independent on my FAFSA, but how will it affect my application when I did not have any "income" last year? I feel a little weird about putting zeros for all of my tax information. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated and I'm happy to provide more info if needed.

Thanks!
mindboggles
New

Re: Unemployed full-time student

Postby kristinem17 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:58 am

It might sound funny, but putting an income of zero is not necessarily a bad thing. It could actually help you qualify for more financial aid!
kristinem17
Student Advocate

Re: Unemployed full-time student

Postby mindboggles » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:49 pm

I think my main concern about it is that it will seem suspicious and that my FAFSA will be audited. I'm going to submit the question to customer service at the FAFSA page to see if I can get more details from them.
mindboggles
New

employed full-time student

Postby cazbarr » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:36 pm

I am 21 years old, file my own taxes, my parents do not claim me on theirs. I work part time and go to school full time and live in an apartment. Why does FAFSA need my parents income? When am I considered an independent student?
cazbarr
New

Return to FAFSA