minimum credit requirements

Discuss Stafford, PLUS, Direct, and other federal loan products.

Moderators: Ms. Stafford, Financial Aid Guru

minimum credit requirements

Postby beaulieup2 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:59 pm

i was told i need to be enrolled for a minimum of 6 credits to recieve financial aid. on account of having limited funds for college and no credit, i have enrolled myself in a 4 credit class at wentworth institute of technology in boston and a 3 credit course at bunker hill community college. the 3 credits from bunker hill will transfer to my wentworth transcript. however, my financial advisor at wentworth tells me that i need 6 credits AT WENTWORTH to be eligible for financial aid.

so what she's saying is this: i am required to be enrolled for 6 credits to recieve financial aid. Why does it matter which schools i am registered for those credits?

also: if my credits transfer to wentworth at the end of the semester, why wouldn't stafford loans consider me eligible at the start of the semester?

i feel like she is just trying to swindle me into giving wentworth more money. wentworth costs about $670/credit and bhcc costs about $150/credit.

does anyone know anything about this?

thanks,

paul b
beaulieup2
New

Re: minimum credit requirements

Postby jrebello » Thu May 20, 2010 7:48 am

In most cases, you can only get financial aid from one school per semester. However, some schools provide a consortium agreement, which allow you to use credits from another school as part of your financial aid. Contact the financial aid office at Wentworth to see if this is an option.

-Justin
jrebello
Student Advocate

Return to Federal Loans