Payoff of subsidized loan at graduation

Discuss Stafford, PLUS, Direct, and other federal loan products.

Moderators: Ms. Stafford, Financial Aid Guru

Payoff of subsidized loan at graduation

Postby ssb2013 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:04 pm

Apologies as I see a similar question was asked on the forum a couple of years ago, but things change, so I want to be sure I am working with current information.

My daughter will start college this fall and qualifies for a $3500 "subsidized federal direct loan".

First, is that the same as a subsidized Stafford loan?

Second, if we were able to pay off the loan in full immediately upon graduation, am I correct in believing it would have essentially been an "interest free" loan for the four years? (i.e., there would no interest owed at the time of graduation - just the $3500 borrowed?)

Many thanks.
ssb2013
New

Re: Payoff of subsidized loan at graduation

Postby Aid Whiz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:09 am

That is all correct - those loans are often referred to as Stafford Loans, Federal Direct Loans, and Federal Stafford Loans, but they are all the same thing.

For subsidized loans, if paid off upon graduation, they will be interest-free. Interest does not accrue on these until repayment begins, 6 months after leaving school (or immediately after leaving school for graduate students).
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Re: Payoff of subsidized loan at graduation

Postby ssb2013 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:41 am

Thank you!
ssb2013
New

Return to Federal Loans