Transferred to another school, but still attending part-time

Discuss Stafford, PLUS, Direct, and other federal loan products.

Moderators: Ms. Stafford, Financial Aid Guru

Transferred to another school, but still attending part-time

Postby HerS8742 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi there,

Here's my situation:

I had attended a university for three full years before I realized what I REALLY wanted to study. At the end of my third year, I had accumulated nearly $30,000 in Stafford loans, which is near my aggregate limit. During the summer before Fall '12, I submitted my FAFSA and was awarded with only $750 which is no where close to the cost of tuition. With that being said, I decided to transfer to a local community college in order to be able to afford tuition.

For Fall '12, I am enrolled half-time at the community college but am not able to receive any financial aid of any sort based on the school's requirements.

I had received a letter from my previous school that I need to complete exit-counseling because I am not enrolled at their institution.

My question is: Do I have to start repaying my loans because I am no longer attending the school I was receiving financial aid from?

When I read about the requirements of a federal student loan, it states that I must be enrolled at least half-time, which I am. I'm just not enrolled half-time at the school I received the aid from.

I hope this makes sense and I appreciate any helpful response.
HerS8742
New

Return to Federal Loans