2013-2014 Grade Level Question

Financial Aid Questions and Answers : Where do I begin? Answers to your Financial Aid Questions!

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

2013-2014 Grade Level Question

Postby sirojajam » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:50 pm

Hello. I would like to hear an advice from those of you who knows how to determine a grade level.
I am a little bit confused after I have searched for answers in internet.

My particular situation is that
I started college this spring, which is 2012-2013 as for FAFSA registration.
I am freshman, and taking my first semester.
Now I have to answer the question, literally: "When you begin the 2013-2014 school year, what degree or certificate will you be working on?"
As I perceive it, "when I begin" means my status in the beginning of the fall. It would be my second semester and therefore the most appropriate answer as I feel is "Attended college before/ 1st year".
But I am in doubt now because of this topic: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 925AAaxN6D
It states that, if applied to my situation,
if I am filling out for 2013-2014 I have to put 2nd year/sophomore since I will be a sophomore in 2012-2013.

Would be someone so kind to help me with that?
sirojajam
New

Re: 2013-2014 Grade Level Question

Postby Aid Whiz » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:52 am

According to the Department of Education, grade level is determined by the amount of credits/hours accumulated towards your degree, not the year:

[Grade level] is not based on the number of years the student has attended college but on work completed toward the degree/certificate. For instance, a full-time student might attain second-year grade level after one year of study, while a half-time student would take two years to reach that level.

http://ifap.ed.gov/fsahandbook/attachme ... AVGCh2.pdf

I would suggest contacting your school to make sure you select the right option, as some types of aid (such as Stafford Loans) are dependent upon grade level.
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Return to Questions and Answers