Approved SAP Appeal Question

Financial Aid Questions and Answers : Where do I begin? Answers to your Financial Aid Questions!

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Approved SAP Appeal Question

Postby ShadowLinn » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:55 pm

Hi! I had been attending a local community college off and on when I was in my early twenties and during that time my financial aid was suspended. I took a break from school and I decided to return eight years later, but I was ineligible for financial aid. The appeal I submitted my first semester back was denied, so I have been paying out of pocket each semester. I submitted a second appeal for the upcoming spring 2013 semester and the appeal was approved with some serious stipulations. My concern is that I will be relocating to another state and even though my gpa now meets the financial aid requirements, my completion ratio will not until I reach my junior year. When I transfer to my new school, will I need to submit a new appeal to that particular school? Am I able to just show my new school proof that my appeal was approved at my prior school? I am fearful that if I have to appeal at my new school, it will be denied and I can not afford to pay out of pocket for out-of-state tuition.
ShadowLinn
New

Re: Approved SAP Appeal Question

Postby Aid Whiz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:57 am

Your new school will most likely have you submit another appeal, since policies can differ between institutions. However, to know for sure, you will need to contact your new school's financial aid office.

If you do need to appeal again, it's a positive sign your previous school approved it, so it would worth mentioning. But again, appeals are generally school-specific.
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Return to Questions and Answers