Becoming ineligible for aid (too many credits) HELP!

Financial Aid Questions and Answers : Where do I begin? Answers to your Financial Aid Questions!

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Becoming ineligible for aid (too many credits) HELP!

Postby dejongry » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:30 pm

Hi, I just discovered that I am at a point in my college career where I have taken too many credits that do not count towords my associates in business degree.
I spoke with a counselor today who told me that my financial aid will be cut off BEFORE I take enough credits which count towards my degree because I've already taken too many credits on aid which don't count towards my degree.

I realize I can file for an extension, but is this "too many credits" rule based on individual financial aid offices at different schools or FAFSA itself?

If I transfer to a new school and apply for financial aid will my time be reset? or does the "too many credits" rule still apply?

The counselor told me that if I am awarded an extension then financial aid will pull aid credit time used from the two years it would have been awarded to me at a school where I can earn my bachelor's degree (I go to a community college right now and am working towards my associates). Does this mean if I get a financial aid extension I will have nothing left for me once I am ready to move on to my bachelors?

Since I am apparently behind, what are all my options with remaining funded to get my associates, bachelors, masters, and doctorate? (Based on these circumstances).

Thank you all so much for your help.
dejongry
New

Re: Becoming ineligible for aid (too many credits) HELP!

Postby Aid Whiz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:47 am

This maximum credit issue is part of an institution's Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy. The Department of Education requires certain criteria be met when school's create this policy, but school's do have some leeway with how they implement it at their institution.

If you transfer, your aid eligibility is determined by the number of transferable credits, so you'll have to check with the new school about how this will affect your financial aid.

If your appeal is approved, then it seems you would be using more of your lifetime financial aid, and yes, this means less for later years.

However, there are different options available to post-baccalaureate students such as graduate PLUS loans. Also, aid limits get increased for independent students, so this could provide more help in later years. I would suggest setting up an appointment to meet with a financial aid administrator to review all of your options and how this will affect your aid going forward.
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Re: Becoming ineligible for aid (too many credits) HELP!

Postby Karlfarmer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:48 am

The Pell Grant maximum is six years of max award, or the 600% rule. And the Stafford loan maximum limit is $57,500 for undergraduates. So, if you qualify for either type of aid, you can figure out what you have left to tap of each type, so if you switch schools, you'll know where you will be starting out with financial aid. I've gone to a CC for 60 credits- but a lot of the required classes I needed for my goal are not available (offered) when they were needed, so a lot of my credits are basically filler- and won't transfer, either. I'm going to switch to another CC and start over with a program that offers all the classes, in a logical pathway, to get the degree. Since I have used less than half of the aid available, I ought to be able to go two more years fully covered. The new school advisor told me people do this 'all the time'. The issue with me is- why does the old school offer a degree program, then NOT offer all of the classes required, in sequence and by order of prerequisite, etc...that would allow a program to be completed? Again, I'll offer my opinion that these schools are in business to make money, not necessarily to act in the best interests of their customers (students)?
Karlfarmer
Graduate Student of Financial Aid

Return to Questions and Answers