financial aid/loans for pre-reccs/post bacc?

Financial Aid Questions and Answers : Where do I begin? Answers to your Financial Aid Questions!

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

financial aid/loans for pre-reccs/post bacc?

Postby boog2 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:25 pm

Hello,
I haven't found a clear answer to this question, so I figured I would try here:

In 2011 I graduated with a BFA in painting + drawing. I am interested in applying for graduate school, for a masters degree in Medical Illustration. However, before I can I need to fulfill several science related prerequisites. I cannot pay out of pocket, and cannot take out a private loan. If I am able to find a "post-bacc" program which has all of the classes (pre-reccs) I need, will financial aid/government loans cover this? I saw somewhere that one can take out $12,500 in government loans for a pre-med post bac (pre-professional degree)?

Thanks!
boog2
New

Re: financial aid/loans for pre-reccs/post bacc?

Postby Aid Whiz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:48 am

In a lot of cases, any required pre-recs can be covered by financial aid. Since you're looking at master's degrees and not second bachelor's, you should be able to receive federal aid for this (assuming you're eligible and that your school participates). The amount you receive entirely depends on your financial situation, but if you file your FAFSA, you should get a good idea of what you'll be eligible for.

Never hurts to apply for scholarships either! Here are some specifically for grad students: http://www.studentscholarshipsearch.com ... olarships/
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Return to Questions and Answers