Financial Aid Privacy

Financial Aid Questions and Answers : Where do I begin? Answers to your Financial Aid Questions!

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Financial Aid Privacy

Postby lilbrit91 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:16 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for an answer to a very specific question, that is who can discuss my information with my school's financial aid department? I am an adult but my mom is considering helping me pay for school. If she pays all or part of my tuition will she be able to call and talk to financial aid about me? Will they begin directing their correspondence to her? Does that depend on how much she pays?

For example, I am desperate for extra money for books and living expenses and am considering telling her my tuition is higher than it is so I'll get a refund. I know this is a terrible thing to do, and lecture me if you must, but please also answer this: If my mom pays more than my actual balance, would the financial aid office notify her of the mistake? What if her payment was sent with a bill that I had doctored to show a higher amount- can financial aid tell her about the fallacy? Do they communicate with her at all? (I'm cringing as I write this, but honestly there are some unique personal and family circumstances at work here so if you can, please answer the questions objectively.) I really appreciate your time.
lilbrit91
New

Re: Financial Aid Privacy

Postby edvadmin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:55 pm

If she pays too much they may refund the money to her instead of you. What you can do is have her give you the money so it will be refunded to you. No they will not share any information about your financial aid with her as long as you do not give them permission to do so. They have to abide by the privacy act so your informaiton should be safe. But you know how mom's are, they have a way of getting the informaion even when you do not want them to.
Admin, FinancialAidForum.com

Visit:
http://www.studentloannetwork.com
http://www.edvisors.com

Be sure to follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/finaidforum
edvadmin
Site Admin

Re: Financial Aid Privacy

Postby charliee » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:13 pm

The FERPA- Privacy Act as it is often refers to prohibits the release of any student education information including financial aid related information unless authorised by the student by means of a release letter. It could be tricky if your mother insists that you furnish this letter. In all fairness, as a mother, the least she would expect is true and open communication from her daughter. It would therefore be advisable to sit her down and discuss why you need the extra money. Apart from emotional pain, all of this beefing up of bills could result in a situation where you leave yourself open to legal action.
charliee
First Year

Return to Questions and Answers