Financial Aid Suspension - Can I change schools now?

Financial Aid Questions and Answers : Where do I begin? Answers to your Financial Aid Questions!

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Financial Aid Suspension - Can I change schools now?

Postby wonton2112 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:08 am

Okay, so this past semester (Fall 2011) I did really poorly, my wife and I just had our first child, we moved, I'm working full time and was going to school full time. I (foolishly) let my grades drop, and this resulted in my being suspended from the community college I was attending. The college's requirements to come back from suspension are to take a semester off (Spring 2012), then pay for a semester out of pocket (Fall 2012), then your financial aid can be reinstated for the following semester (would be Spring 2013). That would be all well and good except I've moved away from that school. Can I go to another school (not any part of the CC system I was in) and still receive federal financial aid, or no?
wonton2112
New

Re: Financial Aid Suspension - Can I change schools now?

Postby Aid Whiz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:47 am

Yes, you will most likely be able to attend another school with financial aid. If the new school does foresee a problem with your past financial aid suspension, schools usually have an appeals process where you would be able to explain the circumstances that led to your low grades. They will take into account extenuating circumstances (like a new baby!) and may reconsider FA suspensions based on this.
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Postby Karlfarmer » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:00 pm

This seems weird, that another school would not have an issue with the poster's grades. After all, these schools serve only to make money, so why would school 1impose a sanction, if school 2 would not? (Unless school 1 just wanted the student to pay out of pocket to gain more profit, not thinking their policy might send the student to a competitor?)
Karlfarmer
Graduate Student of Financial Aid

Postby hthr_moore22 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:33 pm

I have a similar issue i attended a online school and my grades dropped due to me relocating to another state because of personal issues me and my daughter, and my gpa dropped and i did an appeal which was not granted because of the circumstances of relocating? I need advice on what official documents i could use for this purpose only! My financial aid is suspended where i can never attend any other college in the world which is crazy in my prospective! Please hlp!-
hthr_moore22
New

Postby edvadmin » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:33 pm

Unfortunately, you will most likely have to pay for a semester out of pocket and end the semester with a passing cumulative GPA in order to qualify for financial aid in the future
Admin, FinancialAidForum.com

Visit:
http://www.studentloannetwork.com
http://www.edvisors.com

Be sure to follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/finaidforum
edvadmin
Site Admin

Return to Questions and Answers