Getting divorced and need financial aid for school

Financial Aid Questions and Answers : Where do I begin? Answers to your Financial Aid Questions!

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Getting divorced and need financial aid for school

Postby Lorial1962 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:29 am

I just turned 50, will be divorced an a few weeks. My husband has always made the majority of our money.
I am facing a future where I need to support myself. I work in the marketing field and am planning to get my degree in
Business Marketing so that I can advance my career.
I have 33 credits from 1980, from our local county college. This is where I plan to return to finish my Associates, and then hopefully my Bachelors from there.
I want to start school this fall, my question is will my fafsa still be based on my ex-husbands income? If so when will I be able to apply based on what I earn?
I make $20,800 at my job and get $200 a week spousal support, this totals $30,400 per year.
If anyone can help me out with some answers or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
I just became a breast cancer survivor last month and I am ready to get on with my over 50 life ! :)
Lorial1962
New

Re: Getting divorced and need financial aid for school

Postby Aid Whiz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:42 am

Marital status on the FAFSA is determined as of the day you file. Until you are legally separated or divorced, you will need to submit as married. However, once this happens, you won't need to include his information.
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Return to Questions and Answers