In need of Scholarship.....

Financial Aid Questions and Answers : Where do I begin? Answers to your Financial Aid Questions!

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

In need of Scholarship.....

Postby Angels777 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:40 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to find a scholarship to help pay for the amount of my tuition after my Financial Aid has been applied because I really don't want to take out any student loans for various reasons. I'm blessed that the majority of my tuition and books are covered by financial aid but I'm still looking for additional help. If anyone ca give me some suggestions where to go I'd greatly appreciate it!

Here's some info about me:

47 year old minority female returning to school (first time attending College was in the 80's)
I'm currently enrolled in ann online college to obtain my Associates Degree and may continue to obtain my Bachelors after that. I don't need a scholarship for thousands of dollars (although that would be nice) I would be happy with a $500 scholarship. ANY amount would be appreciated!

I'm no longer working due to medical problems.

Can anyone give me some suggestions or direction?
Angels777
New

Re: In need of Scholarship.....

Postby Aid Whiz » Tue May 28, 2013 9:00 am

StudentScholarshipSearch.com is a database of scholarships where you can search for relevant scholarships for your specific circumstances. You might also try other databases like Fastweb or scholarships.com.

There are some scholarships for continuing ed/returning students, so make sure to search for these in addition to other relevant scholarships like state, gender, race, etc.
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Postby jasonjb » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:58 pm

I would say your best option would be to search within the school that you are applying to. Many scholarships you find online can be harder to earn because of so many applicants. Go to your schools financial aid center and talk with a counselor to see what scholarships are available to you. The more local the scholarship, the more likely you are to earn one.

If you feel your situation makes you stick out in the crowd of other scholarship seekers, try to use scholarship search engines online to find a scholarship.

Best of Luck!
scholarplan.org
jasonjb
New

Postby CoryLoPreedy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:19 pm

I think its a good idea to think about what general type of Scholarship you want to look at. I like to look at them from the highest level and then drill down from that point.
As an adult learner like yourself, I would look think about:

National Scholarships
    State Scholarships
    Local Scholarships
    Institutional Scholarships

A good way to look at this list is from a competition standpoint, with National scholarships being the most competitive and Institutional Scholarships being the least competitive. However, the scholarship process is hard, so don’t be discouraged by the first denial or the process…remember, “It’s not a sprint, it’s a marathon”
CoryLoPreedy
First Year

Return to Questions and Answers