Married student can't get financial aid

Financial Aid Questions and Answers : Where do I begin? Answers to your Financial Aid Questions!

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Married student can't get financial aid

Postby detaylor1968 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:53 pm

I have a strange situation. I got married and recently decided to go back to school because I have not been able to find a job for several years. My wife makes great money but we have the bills to go with the $$. I completed a Falsfa app and basically can't get aid because she makes good money, however we can't afford to pay for the tuiion and books without aid. What can you do????
detaylor1968
New

Re: Married student can't get financial aid

Postby Aid Whiz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:22 am

In situations like this, you may be able to submit an appeal to the financial aid office, asking that your aid package be reconsidered. Since the FAFSA is based on your family's total income, and typically does not account for expenses, you may only be left with the option of student loans.
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Postby fa_blogger » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:02 am

I agree with Aid Wiz. If there is a change in your current financial situation compared to the tax information reported on the FAFSA, additional consideration may be given to re-evaluate your eligibility, this is known as a professional judgment. However, that does not guarantee your will be eligible for grants as the Department of Education does have limitations on who is eligible.

Good news is that you should still be able to look into Federal Student loans which do not have required payments as long as you’re in school at least half-time. The idea is you graduate, find a job, and are more financial stable when you are in repayment of your loans. Another option could be to find a school that is more affordable, try a local community college if you have not finished your Associates Degree yet and then transfer to a 4 year later on. And then of course there is cutting back on personal expenses if possible.

I am a financial aid professional and I have started a financial aid blog as a project for a college course. Please check out the link below to read more of my insights into financial aid which you may find extremely helpful.

[/url]http://financialaidwritings.blogspot.com/
fa_blogger
New

Postby happycreditreport » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:48 am

I am also agree with AID WIZ
happycreditreport
New

Postby karry » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:03 am

The problem is very anonymous for me too. May be Aid is right. Apply his idea also.
karry
First Year

Return to Questions and Answers