My Situation: New to FASFA + a Somewhat Unusual Circumstance

Financial Aid Questions and Answers : Where do I begin? Answers to your Financial Aid Questions!

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

My Situation: New to FASFA + a Somewhat Unusual Circumstance

Postby dag0151 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:44 pm

Hello all,

So here is my situation. I am a fourth year music education student, but am pretty content with my decision of not wanting to be a music teacher. I want to study an entirely different area (like engineering, finance, or computers). I have started filling out the FASFA form, and it is pretty clear that I am going to be a dependent student. I would go to an in-state school for the new degree. My first degree (that not finished, it is still currently in progress) was not/ is not paid with any federal loans. My big question is, should I even finish this degree I'm working on right now? Because I know if I were to be requesting financial aid for a SECOND Bachelor's degree, then I'm automatically eliminated from the possibility of several of the types of grants. OR, should I just not finish this degree, so it's just technically a MAJOR-SWITCH? And, again, I haven't gotten any financial aid to this day, for whatever that's worth. I know it seems kind of weird to just almost finish a degree and bail, but I just don't care about this degree anymore, and I suppose I could always just finish it later on if I wanted. I'm just trying to figure out my options here. And, there is also a possibility that I might wait a couple years to even pursue the second bachelor's degree, like when I'm 24 or something, when perhaps I could also be considered "independent." Thanks to anyone helps me out. Let me know if something I said doesn't make sense to you. Thanks again!

-Dylan G.
dag0151
New

Re: My Situation: New to FASFA + a Somewhat Unusual Circumstance

Postby Aid Whiz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:50 am

There are a few issues to think about given your situation:

1. You are correct in that most types of federal financial aid is not available for students who already hold 1 bachelor's degree. Federal funds would only pay for a higher degree in these cases, not a second bachelor's

2. If you switch majors, you'll need to consider your Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). According to SAP policies, a student's aid is suspended if they attempt more than 150% of the credits required for a program. This means any credits from your music major that don't apply to a new one would count against you, potentially leading to a suspension of aid. (For more on SAP policies, contact your school's financial aid office)

3. If you wait a couple of years for a second degree, the previous restrictions would still apply.

Your best option is to sit down with a financial aid officer at your school to determine the best course of action for you.
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Return to Questions and Answers