Post Bac aid?

Financial Aid Questions and Answers : Where do I begin? Answers to your Financial Aid Questions!

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Post Bac aid?

Postby StDan » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:02 am

Merry Christmas!

Here is my story:

After graduating with a 4-year degree, my desire is to go into computer science. In order to get the degree, it seems it will take me going back to community college and/or a university (as a non-matriculating student) for prerequisites. Then, a full-time post baccalaureate program. Financial aid pretty much told me no and directed me to private loans. My income is low and my FAFSA is showing "high" need. Please help me. What are my options? Much thanks.
StDan
New

Re: Post Bac aid?

Postby Aid Whiz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:27 am

Here's the deal. In general, students who already have a bachelor's degree are not eligible for financial aid to get a second bachelor's. Depending on your post-bac program, you may be eligible. If it is an eligible program, it is possible to get funding for required pre-requisites, but it entirely depends on the program and institution. I would talk with few programs around your area to see if the funding options differ.

If that proves fruitless, your best bet would be scholarships (there are some tailored to students going back to school), grants, and private loans.

Hope this helps!
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Return to Questions and Answers