Question about Private Loans

Financial Aid Questions and Answers : Where do I begin? Answers to your Financial Aid Questions!

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Question about Private Loans

Postby rlg59 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:48 am

Hello,

I'm about 10 - 14k short for college this year and that is with federal final aid included. The sad thing is it's a in-state school as well, I grew up a foster child and don't really have anyone to co-sign for a loan and don't have the credit to sign up for one either. I was wondering if there were any programs that might be able to help me?

Thanks,
Rick
rlg59
New

Re: Question about Private Loans

Postby abrightyear » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:07 am

Hey Rick,

I would begin by looking into scholarships. Try Student Scholarship Search and Scholarship Points, and apply for as many scholarships as possible.

You also should consider the idea of trying to get a part-time job during the school year, which can add up to another few thousand dollars.

However, if you are still struggling to figure out how to cover the costs of college, you might have to take a gap year, and spend the year working to pay for college.

Good luck!

-Alex
abrightyear
New

Postby CoryLoPreedy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:40 pm

If you have not already I would definitely look at the scholarships your school has to offer. What school are you going to? Given your background, you have a good chance of getting some sort of assistance from your school. These are called Institutional scholarships and fairly common at state schools. If I were you I would poke around on there site. If you can't find anything, I would reach out to the Financial Aid office and see if they know of anything as well.
CoryLoPreedy
First Year

Postby wflorence » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:14 am

No cosigner 700 score not much credit need provate loan forms school ASAP
wflorence
New

Postby karry » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:19 pm

First thing this is personal loan, not private loan. Alternately you can go for student loan that specially for college students.
karry
First Year

Return to Questions and Answers