SAP Appeal Help

Financial Aid Questions and Answers : Where do I begin? Answers to your Financial Aid Questions!

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

SAP Appeal Help

Postby rbaynham0002 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:39 am

This is my rough draft of my appeal letter. Do you think this will be adequeate?

Dear Financial Aid Committee:
My name is Rachel Baynham and I am writing this appeal letter in hope that you will reconsider your decision and grant my financial aid. I would like to begin thanking you in advance for taking the time to read this letter and consider my request to reinstate my financial aid at Bluegrass Community and Technical College. I apologize for the lack of attention to my courses in the previous semester of 2011, and I do not blame anyone but myself, however, I would like to explain the circumstances.
In February of 2011 I took on full time care of my 19 month old nephew. At the time his mother was no longer able to care for him and as a close family member I was asked to step in and take custody of him. I did willing do so not for seeing the potential child care obstacles that would become an issue. I was unable to get childcare for him until the guardianship was approved by the court. I gained full guardianship of him in Oct 2011. It was a lengthy process through court between fees and court dates. I do not regret my decision to take custody of him but I do wish I had at the time been able to get adequate childcare for him, but was unable to do so. At the time with me not being able to put him in daycare I couldn’t attend classes regularly was also overwhelmed by the sudden responsibility, both emotionally and financially, of taking on a second child unexpectedly. I regret dropping out of school; I realize now the importance of an education.
I am now a single mother of my 4 year old daughter and my 3 year old nephew. I am fully dedicated to continuing my education, not just for myself, but for my kids too. I can assure you this will not become an issue again as both of my children are now in full-time daycare and have been since Oct 2011. While I greatly appreciate the chance to attend BCTC, I'm afraid I will be unable to attend unless my financial aid is granted. I’m asking that given the circumstances, that the committee give me another chance and reinstate my financial aid.
I am serious about my future and I realize that earning a degree is the only way I will be able to obtain a good career and support my children. Again, thank you for taking the time to read this letter, and I assure you, if granted financial aid, my education is and will continue to be my main priority.

Thank you,
rbaynham0002
New

Re: SAP Appeal Help

Postby edvadmin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:31 am

This is a good start, but you want to include a plan that will show the commitee that you are prepared to deal with any obsticles that may present themselves in this new role. You may also want to address any defaulted loans that were issued to you as part of your financial aid. If you have loans that are defaulted you may also want to consider including informaiton about going through a repayment rehabilitation program or by consolidating your loans to get them out of default. If you have no loans in default include infomation on how you plan to us the in school deferment option to keep your loans in a good standing.
Admin, FinancialAidForum.com

Visit:
http://www.studentloannetwork.com
http://www.edvisors.com

Be sure to follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/finaidforum
edvadmin
Site Admin

Return to Questions and Answers