Went back to school "exceeded max credits"

Financial Aid Questions and Answers : Where do I begin? Answers to your Financial Aid Questions!

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Went back to school "exceeded max credits"

Postby coopcoopcoop » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:13 pm

I went back to school after 10 years. I did very poorly back then becasue i didn't care. But i didn't get finacial aid back then because i knew the time would come where i really needed it. Well, they did a SAP the other day and said that I exceeded maximum credits. They counted every class i've taken my whole life! Since i've went back i'm a straight A student and all of my classes have been towards my major. Shouldn't they start from the time that i went back to school and started getting aid? Surely they're not going to take my financial aid away? I paid for those classes I failed earlier. All the ones they have paid for, I've passed.
coopcoopcoop
New

Re: Went back to school "exceeded max credits"

Postby Aid Whiz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:43 am

Each school's policy is different, but typically, SAP applies to every student at an institution, regardless of how they fund the classes. However, schools do have appeals processes for this, so in your case, it would make sense to submit an appeal based on your current academic standing. As part of this process, you may be required to complete an academic plan, just to make sure you stay on target.

For more info on the appeals process, you should contact your financial aid office. Hope this helps!
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Re: Went back to school "exceeded max credits"

Postby Karlfarmer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:47 pm

I recently attempted to post a similar thread, however- mine concerned what happens if you have excess credits, but less than the 150% allowed rule, and yet want to transfer to a new school and continue? Can you start over with the credit limit, etc?

I have enough credits for a degree, yet not enough classes for the degree I sought, since the classes required for the degree were never available (so I took classes that WERE available, so I'd remain fulltime and receive FA).
This means many of the credits I did receive don't count toward my previous planned degree.

I have queried a potential new school, because I am moving, and I was told that all I have to do is complete a form explaining that the classes I wanted were not available, and that despite my total number of credits, they are not applicable to a degree, and therefore I am starting on a new degree plan. The new school told me that happens 'every day', and that that would allow me to continue to receive FA up the max limits allowed (such as the total allowable Stafford loan amounts and lifetime Pell grant limit).

If this can happen upon transfer to a new school, I'd wonder that it can't also happen at your orginal school?
Karlfarmer
Graduate Student of Financial Aid

Return to Questions and Answers