Grad School and Undergrad loans

Questions about student loans for graduate school, including medical school, law school, business school, etc?

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Grad School and Undergrad loans

Postby GradDad » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:30 am

If I enter grad school 1 1/2 years after getting my undergrad diploma and I have been making payments of my Stafford loans, will the undergrad Staffors loans automatically go into deferment or must I make the request?
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:35 am

Re: Grad School and Undergrad loans

Postby Aid Whiz » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:58 pm

You will need to file the form yourself, and get it certified by your school. For all federal loans, you can fill out the "In School Deferment Request" and send it to the address provided on the form. Any private loans will require a separate request, so you should contact your lender for more information.

To download deferment and forbearance forms, visit
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:25 am

Re: Grad School and Undergrad loans

Postby allloansfast » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:29 am

There must be some kind of announcement of how things like this should be done. Some of my friends, they need to file a request for this kind of matter. Or you could just go to your school staff to ask for this, they can definitely help you.
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:23 am

Re: Grad School and Undergrad loans

Postby zalinaB » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:15 am

Federal Subsidized Loans are offered to undergraduate and graduate students, who are enrolled at least half time, on the basis of financial need. While attending school, the government pays the interest that accrues on these loans. Payments can be made at any time before repayment begins. Repayment of principal and interest begins approximately six months after graduation, if attendance goes below half-time status, or if withdrawn from program. It is good both for graduate and under graduate students.
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:02 am

Return to Graduate Loans

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests