Do scholarships only cover tuition?

Where do I find college scholarships? How do I apply for grants?

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Do scholarships only cover tuition?

Postby hillorious@yahoo.com » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:53 am

Do scholarships only go towards college tuition or can they go towards other things like room and board, supplies and equipment. I ask because due to personal reasons I would like to pay my own way through college without my parents help. Also because I will be going to college for music and I know right away I'll need a new instruments and equipment.

So can scholarships pay for more than just tuition?

hillorious@yahoo.com
New

Re: Do scholarships only cover tuition?

Postby Aid Whiz » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:00 pm

This depends on the scholarship. Some programs such as ScholarshipPoints.com send the money directly to the school to be applied to tuition and often books. Others may send the money directly to the student. To look for scholarships specific to music, try StudentScholarshipSearch.com.
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Postby Mac Ron » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:07 am

Every scholarship is different. The scholarship will say what it covers. Some only cover tuition while others add in books and room & board as well. Some scholarships also say they cover anything related to school so if there extra it can be sent to the student and some go straight to the student. If you’re getting more than just a scholarship then your school will make sure that it can only go towards tuition.
Mac Ron
First Year

Postby judys » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:25 am

Scholarships also cover books, supplies, room & board. Some scholarships will say it on their descriptions - that they're only for tuition, or only for books and supplies. But usually the money all goes into your account, pays your tuition and then the balance gets refunded directly to you in the form of a check for you to use accordingly (they won't know how you use it but they assume you'll use it for school stuff).
Last edited by judys on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
judys
New

Postby moviealex2012 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:31 pm

Most scholarships cover tuition/books/fees or anything related with college expenses, my college even gives me a refund for any overpayment that I can use for living housing expenses.
College is Expensive! Win College Scholarships at http://www.ScholarshipCircle.com
moviealex2012
New

Postby Teaching101 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:37 pm

No. Some scholarships cover housing costs and book allowance. Depends on the sholarship
Teaching101
New

Return to College Scholarships