complicated situation for completing FAFSA..any suggestions?

What is the fafsa? When should I apply for financial aid?

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

complicated situation for completing FAFSA..any suggestions?

Postby amglobal » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:49 am

My son is currently a Junior in High school and we will be filling out the FAFSA early 2013. I am an American citizen, but I think my situation is somewhat complicated because I am not married to my son's Mom and she is not an American citizen. (she is from central America) The situation gets somewhat more complicated because she is working for the world bank in the USA with a work visa, lives with us here in the USA, but she is not required to pay US taxes because she works for the World bank as a contractor from her country. Obviously we would like to get the maximum financial aid for my son so my questions are:

Would it be better if we continue to say single or is there a benefit to being married when filing the FAFSA?
How are foreign parents income calculated or reported? (is it reported?)
Do I have to claim her on the FAFSA?
What is the best way to file under these circumstances?

Any other tips or advise on filing FAFSA would be appreciated keeping in mind my situation and our goal to get maximum financial aid.

Thanks
amglobal
New

Re: complicated situation for completing FAFSA..any suggestions?

Postby bruce3787 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:47 am

Would it be better if we continue to say single or is there a benefit to being married when filing the FAFSA?

A: As a Financial Aid professional, it is actually illegal for me and anyone in the field to coach you on what routes to take to earn more money through Financial Aid. However, what I can do is inform you on the difference between your son claiming that his parents are married versus single. If his parents are single, then your son would choose the parent in which he lives with and this parent would choose the "single" option and only provide that one parent's income towards your son's support on the FAFSA. If his parents are married, both incomes are included on the FAFSA and considered for Pell grant qualifications. In the case you explained above, it sounds as though you would be the one included on the FAFSA with only your income.

Do I have to claim her on the FAFSA?

A: No, you won't include her. This is because the FAFSA will actually be filled out by your son and since he can only add one parent to the FAFSA (due to his parents not being married).

What is the best way to file under these circumstances?

A: Under these circumstances, you would file as single on the FAFSA and only include your tax information on the FAFSA. Remember that your taxes must also reflect the same marital status (i.e. single, head of household, ect.).
bruce3787
New

Re: complicated situation for completing FAFSA..any suggestions?

Postby amglobal » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:30 am

thanks for info it was really helpful.
amglobal
New

Return to FAFSA