credit cards for college students

Do you have a favorite online bank? Coupon website? Credit card?

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

credit cards for college students

Postby maureenm » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:56 am

I would like to get my daughter a credit card for college since she'll be away to use in case of emergencys. Is there any you would recommend? Do you think it's a good idea? It would make me feel better.
maureenm
New

Re: credit cards for college students

Postby Financial Aid Guru » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:24 pm

Compare the various options offered by different banks at www.StudentPlatinum.com - A student credit card comparison site.
Financial Aid Guru
Site Admin

Postby credit07 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:56 am

Yes, I also think that is a good idea because whenever our child in trouble then they use it. So its helpful to our child. You should get credit card for your daughter.
credit07

Postby maureenm » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:24 pm

I applied for a credit card in her name and it was declined, I also tried to get her credit report to see what was going on and it said she had no credit history, what do I do now? Why was she declined if she has no credit?
maureenm
New

Postby Financial Aid Guru » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:13 am

Credit cards companies are getting pickier about who the approve. A student who was denied on her own may apply for another student credit card with a co-signer. Try www.StudentPlatinum.com for reviews and advice on applying for credit cards.
Financial Aid Guru
Site Admin

Postby John Watson » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:53 am

Its not a good idea rather its a great ide. By this thing you can keep a check on your children that where they are spending money & you can keep on a controll on their spendings. Money in cash is like flowing water u never know where its spended but plastic money u can have a controll on it.
John Watson
First Year

Postby alexvig » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:11 pm

If you get a credit card in college be able to pay for everything you buy. Also dont take it out to the bar it could get expensive!_
alexvig

Postby Abaca » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:08 am

I wish you were my mother.. hehe.. :lol: very nice of you to give your daughter a credit card. :)
Abaca
First Year

Postby johnalbert888 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:30 am

off course it is good idea whenever your daughter will in trouble she can use it and it will help her.
johnalbert888
New

Postby Stuartthomas » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:01 am

its really great thing that you are so caring for your daughter...they provide a great help specially in case of emergency ..but i still believe in that at college it should be good to use debit card rather than the credit card..
Stuartthomas
Graduate Student of Financial Aid

Postby dumbodumbo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:44 am

If you have 100% trust in your daughter when it comes to finances, then a credit card is a good idea. We as parents would want to be assured that our kids will have something in case of emergencies while they are away from us. However, kids their age can also be overwhelmed with the freedom, and so they can go out of control quite easily. A credit card wouldn't be a great idea if there is doubt in your mind that she will be responsible with her finances. IF this is the case, then you really have to set strict limits and make clear to her the things she can use her credit card on.
dumbodumbo

Postby leegold » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:18 am

dumbodumbo wrote:If you have 100% trust in your daughter when it comes to finances, then a credit card is a good idea. We as parents would want to be assured that our kids will have something in case of emergencies while they are away from us. However, kids their age can also be overwhelmed with the freedom, and so they can go out of control quite easily. A credit card wouldn't be a great idea if there is doubt in your mind that she will be responsible with her finances. IF this is the case, then you really have to set strict limits and make clear to her the things she can use her credit card on.

I have found that most parents of college kids are giving the student a credit card. It is really the best way to manage their spending. THe student just has to understand CLEARLY, their limits and conditions.
Good luck!
leegold
New

Postby Joana10 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:34 am

Almost nothing can be done these days without a credit card. I am sure it is a good idea to get her one. It'll also show her that you trust her enough to give her a credit card.
Find the best medical assistant training options in New York. Find different schools at no cost and choose the best one.
Joana10
First Year

Postby godfrjenkins » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:50 am

Credit cards for student seems a normal thing now, aside for being a great help during emergencies it’s act like a training for students to hold and balance their finances. They have security even away at home.
godfrjenkins
New

Postby black7floyd » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:39 pm

The student denied on her own may apply for another student credit card with a co-signer. You can create a joint account with your daughter and then the credit card issued on your credit records can be given to your daughter. This way you will be knowing the details of her spending.
black7floyd
New

Return to Financial Products