FAFSA Questions

What is the fafsa? When should I apply for financial aid?

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

FAFSA Questions

Postby djones11 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:41 pm

My stepson's mother died and the college is indicating that they require a FAFSA each year to be filed, yet they refuse to make an adjustment on the institutional aid provided with the death of his mother. They are saying that they figure aid based upon the Freshman year circumstances and will not change the formula even when family circumstances change or income changes. I am confused if the EFC changes, is the school not required to meet the EFC guidelines , Is it legal to institutional aid on an entering year and not change the aid even when income or circumstances change? Need help-- they are saying they didn't know about the death and an email was sent to entire faculty and student body. School is only 1500 kids. Thanks.
djones11
New

Re: FAFSA Questions

Postby Aid Whiz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:12 am

Sorry for your family's loss.

Typically, schools do make adjustments to the FAFSA based on special circumstances such as these. I'm surprised to hear that this is not the case. Since the FAFSA is based on the prior year's financials, it may be that your stepson will need to file the FAFSA as usual then appeal for more aid based on these circumstances.

The best way of resolving issues with the financial aid office is to make an appointment to sit down with them in person (if you haven't yet). Sometimes talking face-to-face can be more helpful.

For information on appealing a financial aid offer, you may want to read Appealing a Financial Aid Offer – Can it be Done?.
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Return to FAFSA