I wanted to let you know about a new petition I created on We the People,
a new feature on WhiteHouse.gov, and ask for your support. Will you add your
name to mine? If this petition gets 25,000 signatures by January 10, 2013,
the White House will review it and respond!
We the People allows anyone to create and sign petitions asking the Obama
Administration to take action on a range of issues. If a petition gets
enough support, the Obama Administration will issue an official response.
You can view and sign the petition here:http://wh.gov/Rr4z
Here's some more information about this petition:
Federal Direct Consolidation Loans to allow divorced couples to be
held individually responsible for their debt portion.
in the late 1990's the Federal Direct Student Loan Consolidation
Program allowed married couples to consolidaate student loans. There was no
provision made in the case of divorce. After divorce the program holds both
indivisuals jointly responsible for the loans:
1. Enforcement is based on selecting one of the two ex-spouses and making
them the "primary".
2. The DOE knows how much with each spouse owes.
3. Relief programs such as the public service debt forgiveness only applies
to the spouse actually doing the service.
4. One spouse is left being entirely responsible for the entirety of both
5. The DOE has acknowledged this as a problem and has discontinued the
This petition asks the DOE to sever loans and hold each debtor responsible
only for their own loans.