Charge off on credit report

Student Loan Discussion Board - Ask questions about student loans and get answers from peers and financial aid experts.

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Charge off on credit report

Postby norah » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:08 am

I have a charge off on my credit report. Will this prevent me from from getting a student loan? (Private or federal?)
norah
New

Re: Charge off on credit report

Postby Aid Whiz » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:08 pm

It won't affect most federal aid, as Stafford loans and federal grants are not credit-based. You should file the FAFSA as usual to see what you'll be eligible for. PLUS loans are federal credit-based loans, so it may affect your eligibility for these.

It will most likely affect your eligibility for private student loans - banks have much stricter credit requirements for private loans. If you want to apply for any credit-based funds, it is strongly recommended that you apply with a cosigner who has good credit. This will increase your chances of approval.
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Re: Charge off on credit report

Postby iGrad-FinLit » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:56 pm

The previous answer is correct, but I would also suggest disputing your charge off. This can often be done online through one of the credit bureau websites, or by writing a letter to one of the three credit bureaus. Many times, even if the charge off is valid, the creditor will not respond to the dispute because it is not worth their time, or they didn't follow the proper procedures when they submitted it.
iGrad-FinLit
New

Return to Student Loans