Private loans for non-degree-seekers

Talk about various private student loans and how they can assist you.

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Private loans for non-degree-seekers

Postby Kenton » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:31 pm

Hi,
I'd very much appreciate some info. I've recently graduated with a BA (in Psychology). I plan to apply to a graduate school program in Neuroscience, but I need to fulfill a few prerequisites first (organic chem and physics). I plan to take those classes as a non-degree seeking student, and then apply to a degree program with a stronger resume once I've completed the pre-reqs. I understand that as a non-degree student, I'm not eligible for federal aid. What are my options for private aid? Thanks for any info.
Best,
Kenton
Kenton
New

Re: Private loans for non-degree-seekers

Postby Ms. Stafford » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:27 am

hello, some private loans require school certification...this means you would have to ask your financial aid department if they would certify a private loan for non degree classes. Most schools should, seeing as you need those to continue your studies. there are other private loans that just need proof of enrollment from you, and then the check gets sent to you...those would be better for you, but a lot of companies are not lending those loans out because of the economy.
Ms. Stafford
Veteran of Financial Aid

Postby Kenton » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:15 pm

That was very helpful, thanks so much! I spoke with several banks and schools. You are correct; every bank I researched has discontinued their "no strings attached" loans. However, they were mostly perfectly willing to accept proof of enrollment, and the financial aid departments of the four-year schools I spoke with were all happy to provide that as soon as I registered. The only issue is with those schools which require payment at the time of registration - there may not be a way to avoid paying out of pocket for the first registration. Thanks for the help getting me to ask the right questions.
Kenton
New

Postby Ms. Stafford » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:31 am

yes for schools that require payment at the time of registration, this can be difficult...ive heard of others that run into the same problem. Hopefully, sooner than later, the direct to consumer loans will return
Ms. Stafford
Veteran of Financial Aid

Return to Private Loans