WELLS FARGO OR SALLIE MAE

Talk about various private student loans and how they can assist you.

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

WELLS FARGO OR SALLIE MAE

Postby jiaozi0323 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:00 am

I'm planning to apply for the private loan because my financial officer told me I'm not qualify for the faderal loan because of my BA degree.
I have found 2 famous private loans wells fargo and sallie mae . which one is better ? and lower interest?
anyone has the experience?
jiaozi0323
New

Re: WELLS FARGO OR SALLIE MAE

Postby Aid Whiz » Wed May 11, 2011 11:55 am

On PrivateStudentLoans.com you can view lenders and compare their loan information.
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Postby sstudentss » Sun May 29, 2011 7:57 pm

recently, sallie mae lower the interest rates of its student loans. if you get about 6.8% for the fixed rates of federal loans, you will get about 9% in sallie mae. just to ensure you to get the best information, that would be better if you check on both sides. if im not mistaken, wells fargo offers a variable interest starts from 3.4 % to 5.6%, that would depend on each program offered.
sstudentss

Postby fjm1502 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:28 pm

100% Wells Fargo. With my Dad cosigning, I got a rate prime + 0.25 variable (current prime is 3.25%). After getting many mail / calls from Salle Mae we got on phone with them and after 4 hours and being told that we most likely will qualify for very low margine points plus LIBOR rate...we were told congrads...we had such a good credit that we qualified for 8 %. My dad started screaming and hung up. Here is a little thing we learned. Wells Fargo uses U.S. Prime (now & for past 2 years at 3.25%) plus 0.25% because of my dad's awesome credit. Salle Mae uses British prime called LIBOR (current & past few years at 0.25%) plus what they like to call margine..this margine supposedly is based on how good the cosigner's credit report and FICA is...Salle Mae came up with 7.75% margine + 0.25% Libor = 8%. In our dealing we found, W.F. is much harder to get approval then Salle Mae but W.F.'s rate was much better things being equal which is dad's FICA which is 800_plus. I RECOMMEND Wells Fargo.
fjm1502
New

Return to Private Loans