Charge-off on credit report and getting student loan

Student Loan Discussion Board - Ask questions about student loans and get answers from peers and financial aid experts.

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Charge-off on credit report and getting student loan

Postby norah » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:17 pm

I am an adult student, who has a charge-off on my credit report. That is, I have credit card debt that I did not pay off. Can this affect whether or not I am eligible for a student loan?
Thanks!
norah
New

Re: Charge-off on credit report and getting student loan

Postby Aid Whiz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:20 am

This will not affect your eligibility for Federal Stafford Loans, as credit checks are not required for this type of loan. However, it may affect your eligibility for other types of student loans such as PLUS, or private student loans.

The extent to which this may hinder approval for loans depends on the lender.

For PLUS loans, credit checks are minimal and it's possible your credit may be good enough otherwise. For private loans, each lender uses a different risk assessment formula to determine eligibility, so it really depends on how each weighs this credit issue. Keep in mind that for these types of loans, you can always apply with a cosigner to increase your chances of approval.

Hope this answers your question!
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Return to Student Loans