Stafford Loans to attend 2 graduate programs at same time?

Student Loan Discussion Board - Ask questions about student loans and get answers from peers and financial aid experts.

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Stafford Loans to attend 2 graduate programs at same time?

Postby gotoscoo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:15 am

I've presently attending a graduate certificate program with the help of Stafford loans. I'm considering attending another graduate certificate at another school while still attending the first one, and my question is whether I can qualify for Stafford loans to pursue this second graduate certificate (assuming I meet the other requirements; not over loan limit, attending at least 1/2 time, satisfactory academic progress, etc.)
gotoscoo
New

Re: Stafford Loans to attend 2 graduate programs at same time?

Postby Aid Whiz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Potentially. According to the Department of Education:

Unlike Pell Grants, it is possible for a student who is separately enrolled and eligible at multiple schools to get a Stafford (and for a graduate/professional student or parent to receive a PLUS) at more than one school for the same period. The schools that the student is attending are responsible for coordinating to make sure that the total amount of the loans the student receives does not exceed the applicable annual loan limit. In addition, the schools must ensure that there is no duplication of non-institutional costs when determining the student’s cost of attendance. (Note that in this case, which is different than the consortium arrangements discussed in Volume 2, loan funds awarded at one school are not to be included as estimated financial assistance by any other school the student is attending when determining the student’sloan eligibility forthe same period.)

Source: http://ifap.ed.gov/fsahandbook/attachme ... 3Jun14.pdf
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Postby gotoscoo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks so much for your help. I tried to make a comprehensive search, but could not come up with the information you just provided.

What I get from the above is that I likely can get Stafford loans to cover tuition+books for the 2nd graduate certificate, but cannot expect a cost of living-related refund back from the 2nd school.
gotoscoo
New

Postby Aid Whiz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:20 am

Right, you'll only be able to get aid at both schools specifically for institutional costs like tuition and fees. Glad I could help!
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Return to Student Loans