Subsidized loan did not go through, now I owe the school?

Student Loan Discussion Board - Ask questions about student loans and get answers from peers and financial aid experts.

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Subsidized loan did not go through, now I owe the school?

Postby katief » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:04 am

Hi,

I am a new transfer from a comm. college, after getting my Associates, to a 4 year this Spring; thought I had all my financial aid in place, and so the school indicated.

Around Feb., I was told that an "adjustment" had been made to my account, that I was overpaid (refunded), so I paid $566 back to the school. I just got ANOTHER e-mail (3-29-13), saying there has been yet ANOTHER 'adjustment' to my account, and it is dated 01-20-13 (??), and that I now owe an additional $1,058 to the school. So now, my account is showing as 60 days overdue!! OMG.

There is no explanation as to why (just as last time, I will have to call them), but apparently my subsidized loan did not go through. However, I have an UNsub loan and Pell Grant. Why would I not get my SUB loan, I know I qualify (3.96 GPA, financial need)? I called my loan servicer and they could not tell me anything, and said I need to contact the Board of Education and/or my university.

And how many times can the school keep 'adjusting' my account? I am afraid that I will not be able to sign up for classes (pretty soon)until it is paid, and I cannot make payments (not allowed). What the heck is going on? Do universities 'adjust' financial aid whenever and how ever many times they wish? I cannot get anyone at FA to give me a print out or anything, they just say pay or no classes, so I am not really clear on the numbers. Anyone else have this issue or any advice?
katief
New

Re: Subsidized loan did not go through, now I owe the school?

Postby Aid Whiz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:54 am

I would suggest making an appointment with a financial aid officer to sit down and review your aid package (scheduled, in-person meetings tend to yield better results).
Student Advocate, The Student Loan Network

Check out the Student Loan Network Official Blog for the latest in financial aid news and information!

Follow us on Twitter for helpful tips and tricks for financial aid!
Aid Whiz
Veteran of Financial Aid

Re: Subsidized loan did not go through, now I owe the school?

Postby katief » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Thanks.
Do I have the right to insist on an explanation in writing so I can understand all the moving numbers? There was quite a bit of that before I got my first "adjustment-repayment', and I could not for the life of me figure it out. The guy I spoke with (Eric) on the phone then was extremely condescending and basically told me that I was lucky to have an aid package at all and didn't I think the award was rather large (how would I know?), and sort of intimated that it could be reduced even further if I didn't pay up. I asked him if that was what he was implying, and he said no, of course not. I am an older student, worked for 11 years as a customer service rep, and boy, was it lacking in my coversation with him. I never really got an actual explanation as to why I had to pay back the first 'adjustment'. Just seems like I should have something in writing.
katief
New

Return to Student Loans