Unemployed, need a loan to bridge the gap.

Student Loan Discussion Board - Ask questions about student loans and get answers from peers and financial aid experts.

Moderator: Financial Aid Guru

Unemployed, need a loan to bridge the gap.

Postby dafoester » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:03 pm

I enrolled in my first year of college, which has been completely covered by a Pell Grant. The Pell Grant was compltely absorbed by tuition and books, thus there is nothing left. I have recently become unemployed and I am not eligible for unemployment benefits. I need money for childcare etc.. Is there any possible way to get a loan to cover my costs of living and other things while I am in school?

Thanks!
dafoester
New

Re: Unemployed, need a loan to bridge the gap.

Postby pahern11 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:15 pm

I would recommend looking into scholarships and federal aid. You should file the FAFSA as soon as possible to see if you qualify for federal aid for the upcoming year, and I would also recommend applying to as many scholarships as possible. Unfortunately, being unemployed, it will be very difficult to qualify for a private student loan, unless you can find a family member or close friend to serve as a cosigner for you
pahern11
Senior

Postby Karlfarmer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:06 pm

Poster has filed a FAFSA, since poster has received a Pell. Poster can apply for subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans to help cover expenses. If poster's school has concluded that the cost of attendance is lower than the poster requires, poster can request that the school re-consider the cost of attendance based upon certain hardships- that would allow the poster to request further federal loan proceeds up the annual maximum allowed. Contact the financial aid office of your school.
Karlfarmer
Graduate Student of Financial Aid

Postby MikeW » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:54 am

If I understood the lady I contacted today at FASFA a person may not recieve any gov assitance unless you attend a accredited college. I was hoping to attend barber school and go to work in my dads shop since being laid off. Cost is 6500.00 I'm assuming one would just go and take a loan your local bank, but that's a little discouraging for the millions out of work that you can't attend a private school to further your education and rejoin the work force. Looks like they could research the school you plan to attend if it's the legitamacy that they question.
MikeW
New

Return to Student Loans